" UndoDog: Standards and Benchmarks

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Standards and Benchmarks

School culture is all about benchmarks and assessment these days, and I'm working on honing my own informal standards and benchmarks (which are really just skills and concepts) for technology use in k-5. (I like the updated NETS07 and profiles, and made my own to complement rather than replace those.)

(The assessment piece is simply that I watch students and talk to them and look at their work with an eye towards these standards, but I have to admit that I can only guess at which of my ~700 students understand the concept of a network or remember, weeks after the lesson, how to create a folder. More on assessment to come.)

They've developed somewhat organically, and will certainly evolve further.
Maybe as a result of your comments!

1 comment:

Mr. Steinberg said...

UndoDog does it again! Hey Kathleen, I am just beginning the process of setting benchmarks so your adapted benchmarks Google Doc came at the perfect time. In addition to helping my elementary and middle schools determine benchmarks, it's important to have teacher input and buy-in since I do not teach many of the students. I'll keep you posted with what I come up with.