" UndoDog: Singers, Pushers, and Wigglers

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Singers, Pushers, and Wigglers

Even after 9 years in the classroom, I am still frequently chagrined at the disservice I feel I've done past students when I learn something new from which past students didn't benefit.

Current case in point: Sensory Integration. My sister, the superstar OT, specializes in Sensory Integration and Sensory Diet, and recommended to me The Sensory-Sensitive Child as a good beginning text on the subject. After finally reading it, as well as the handouts for her workshop I'll be attending next month, I see many of my students' behaviors in a new light.

Kids who talk to themselves? Not simply inconsiderate of those around them, they have a sensory need to talk themselves through things. Likewise the singers and hummers: they may be drowning out room noise or they may need the auditory input. Pushers and shovers? They need more or different tactile input. Kids who can't concentrate or who work slowly? My room is just too visually and auditorily stimulating for them. Wigglers and fidgeters? I understood this as a need before, but have new strategies for accommodating the need now. Sleepy or spacey? They may just need "alerting" input.

New things I'll try now: Move-n-Sit or Disc-o-Sit cushions for more kids, let the dancers step outside and dance when they need to, let the hood-wearers in need of retreat wear their hoods (contrary to school policy), headphones for the noise-sensitive, fidgety things for the hand- and mouth-fidgeters, and strategies for the kids who need to reconcile their needs with those of the kids around them.

Ideally, I'd love for all of our teachers to know about this and all of our kids to know themselves sensorily--to learn and practice sensory regulation skills. (Two books for kids that look promising: Arnie and His School Tools, and The Goodenoughs Get In Sync.) The question now is: how to do that in my own classroom while also teaching my technology curriculum and/or how to spread the news to my already overburdened colleagues?

No comments: