" UndoDog: GoogleDocs in fourth grade

Friday, September 26, 2008

GoogleDocs in fourth grade

Despite great frustration on the part of about 1/3 of my students who forgot the .org at the end of their emails, or typed ps.116 instead of ps116, or put .com instead of .org, or mistyped their name or password, or any one of the many things that can go wrong when setting up or using an account where email and password are required, my fourth graders are getting acclimated to GoogleDocs.

They will be making presentations in GoogleDocs as proposals for possible topics for their blogs. They won't be presenting the presentations, but I find the format makes it easier for them to organize their thoughts than with a plain blank page.

I scaffolded the heck out of the account set-up: had them write down their username, their email address, and their password before setting up the account, so all they had to do was type what was on the paper; warned them that they had to type carefully and remember the .org and no spaces, etc., but still a full third of them didn't get it in the first class period. Not to mention the kids who had trouble with the captcha or the email verification. (I explain to them that there are mean people in the world who send out robots over the internet to clog up websites and break them, so they have to prove that they are not one of those robots by reading curvy letters and checking email, which robots can't do.)

Anyone have suggestions for easing this process with a group of 32 fourth graders?
(I wonder if GoogleApps for my domain would solve the problem by allowing me to set up the accounts for them, but I was daunted by implementation complications.)

My example blog topic proposal for my students:

No comments: